All prospective interpreters for Limited English Proficiency, L.E.P., individuals must successfully complete requirements stipulated in the Arkansas Supreme Court per Curiam Order dated September 30, 1999 and in the Requirements for Certification of Foreign Language Interpreters in the Arkansas Courts dated January 1, 2013.
The Administrative Office of the Courts (AOC) is charged by legislation and Supreme Court order with the responsibility for the certification and matters related thereto of foreign language interpreters for LEP parties or witnesses in the state and local courts of Arkansas. Ark Code Ann. §16-10-127 and Arkansas Supreme Court Per Curiam Order of September 30, 1999.
Phase I – Becoming a Candidate for Certification
- Submit Personal Information Form 
- Background Check Release Form 
- Earn a passing score on the Candidate Assessment Exam 
- Complete Orientation & Training 
- Agree to adhere to the Arkansas Code of Professional Responsibility for Interpreters in the Judiciary .
Phase II – Becoming a Certified Interpreter
- Earn a passing score on the Oral Certification Exam 
- Meet Continuing Education Unit Requirements
Approval for reciprocity is determined on a case by case basis as the discretion of the Court Interpreter Services Director.
- Submit Personal Information for the Arkansas Court Interpreters.
- Complete the entire test within one testing cycle.
- Score at least 70% on all four portions.
- Complete the test within one state.
- Same version taken a maximum of two times.
- Letter of good standing from certifying state Administrative Office of the Courts.